Thursday, December 29, 2011

Mission: Mercedes

Did I ever tell you that I run a mean 15 minute mile?

That’s right. You’re impressed, aren’t you? Well, let me go ahead and say I AM! I started this running journey 5 months ago and when I took my first jog, I could only jog for 30 seconds at a time. That’s right. I couldn’t even keep up with the first week of the Couch to 5K program. But you know what? Today, almost exactly 5 months later to the day, I can run for 30 minutes straight (maybe even longer, but the treadmill and it’s 30 minute time limit cut me off before I could figure that out for you). And let me just say that I’m proud of that 30 minutes. It shows progression, determination, and most importantly it shows integrity. I’m on a mission. Any day I don’t step on the treadmill or park trail when I’m scheduled to, is a day I keep myself from reaching my goal.

My goal?
Mercedes Half Marathon 2012. 

Why the Mercedes Half?
Because 10 years ago, I had the privilege of taking care of a set of triplets who benefited from the Bell Center in Homewood, AL. And I watched their mother push them across the finish line after completing the 2003 Mercedes Half Marathon. And it was inspiring. Not because she just ran 13.1 miles, but because of what she endured to get to the start line. Without going into great detail about these precious babies, this mother had been through a lot. With everything she had been through in the 2 years prior to running this half, she still managed to find a way to pay it forward, to do it for her children, and to do it for herself. This race is very near and dear to my heart, and making it my inaugural half marathon is icing on the cake. It gives me the same opportunity to do what this mother did: pay it forward, do it for children, and do it for myself.

Holly gave me an assignment earlier this month to figure out why I wanted to run this Half. So here it is Holly. :) In everything that you do, do it with purpose, believe in the mission, and believe in yourself. Even if you’re not the best at what you do, you can still have a major impact on the end result. And if you have the integrity it takes to get the job done, you will always come out on top.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful! Thank you for sharing.I am so proud of you! It brings tears of joy... run Amanda run! love you lots

    ReplyDelete